The Healthcare channel encompasses three main segments – Hospitals, Long-Term Care and Senior Living – and each segment comes with its own unique set of needs and requirements. One of the biggest challenges in healthcare lies in the enormous scope of the consumers who interact with the channel on a daily basis. In addition to patients and residents, operators also have to account for staff members and visitors. Evolving to meet changing tastes while crafting delicious, nutritious meals at a reasonable price point is key for healthcare foodservice success across all dayparts.
- More than 3 out of 4 residents and patients get all of their meals at their healthcare facilities.
- 67% of hospital patients get their meals from in-room feeding programs.
- 58% of LTC/Senior Living residents closely considered the food options when choosing their healthcare facility.
- 65% of longer term patients/residents think the food options are improving.
Datassential, Healthcare Keynote, February 2017
flavor focus: Better for you
While healthy foods would seem like a natural part of healthcare, that hasn’t always been the case. In recent years, though, better-for-you options are finding their way into both patient/resident feeding as well as meals for employees/staff with an increase in low-sodium, vegan and vegetarian dishes. This is in direct response to consumer desires. Among those surveyed, healthier food items and produce-focused foods are the two most appealing food trends in healthcare.
Better-For-You Menus in Action
- To create great-tasting dishes without the added salt, use Custom Culinary Gold Label Low Sodium Bases (Chicken, Beef or Vegetable) as a foundation for a hearty soup or stew.
- Looking to add customization to the better-for-you trend? Offer bibimbap, a traditional Korean rice bowl filled with fresh, healthy ingredients and sauces made with Passport Global FlavorsTM by CustomCulinary® Authentic Korean Flavors.
- Embrace the new push for plant-forward comfort foods like meatloaf and soups. Increase the volume of soups with fresh seasonal vegetables and supercharge the health factor of meatloaf by mixing mushrooms with beef for overall less fat and fewer calories. Turn to Custom Culinary Master’s Touch Low Sodium Bases and PanRoast® Low Sodium Gravy Mixes for the rich, traditional taste that consumers love!
Insights and Trends for Healthcare
Get actionable tips & tricks for your operation by downloading our recent Insights & Trends for Healthcare operators.
Adapting to Today's "New Healthy"
Download your free copy of one of our recent white papers.
Hearty Chicken Soup with Ancient Grains
A colorful, appealing assortment of vegetables and ancient grains puts a functional ingredient spin on the classic chicken soup recipe, featuring Custom Culinary® Gold Label True Foundations™ Chicken Base.
Gold Label True Foundations™ Chicken Base
This great Chicken base delivers authentic made-from-scratch chicken flavor with clean, simple ingredients – using only consumer recognizable Ingredients.